The Denver personal injury lawyers at Anderson, Hemmat & McQuinn L.L.C. understand the complications and the headaches associated with filing an accident claim with your auto insurance company. Our law firm is here to help you navigate through the process so that you can recover what you deserve and nothing less!
It can be difficult for a driver to know how much they're entitled to after a car accident. Many drivers accept the insurance company's first settlement offer because they trust that it's fair and will be enough to cover all accident-related expenses. This is not always the case. We encourage drivers to consult with a car accident attorney after a collision for a second opinion on how much your claim is worth. More often than not, insurance companies offer claimants far less than they actually deserve.
Many people do not go to the hospital after car accidents either because they think they are not injured or they fear they will have to pay out of pocket for the visit. Truthfully, many car accident injuries can go undetected and may not begin to bother the victim until days or even weeks after the accident. As a precaution, anyone involved in a moderate to serious car accident should go to the hospital for a physical evaluation. Most likely, this visit will be covered by insurance. Just be sure to keep record of the visit and the payment for the visit.
Auto insurance is a requirement for all Colorado drivers, but about 1 out of every 7 drivers still drives without insurance. In Colorado, there are minimum insurance coverage requirements that must be met. For a policy to meet minimum coverage requirements, it must provide at least $25k per person, $50k per accident for bodily injury and $15k for property damage per accident. Auto insurance companies are also required to offer UM/UIM coverage, although drivers can waive this coverage.
Colorado had no-fault insurance laws until 2003 when they were repealed. Now, Colorado is considered a tort state for auto accidents. This means that the at-fault party's insurance company is responsible for paying the settlement. In a no-fault state, all drivers involved in accidents go to their own insurance companies to collect a settlement.
Colorado has comparative/contributory negligence laws. This means that even drivers who are partially at fault for accidents can recover compensation from insurance. However, this does not apply to drivers who are more than 50 percent at fault for the collision. For example, if the insurance adjusters decided that you were 20 percent at-fault and the other driver was 80 percent at-fault, then you could collect up to 80 percent from the other driver's insurance.
When a driver is involved in an accident (either a single-vehicle or multi-vehicle accident), they will file a claim with their insurance company. Any other drivers involved will do the same. An insurance adjuster will be assigned to your case to review your auto insurance policy as well as estimate the cost of property damage and bodily injury based on your records. After evaluating all the evidence and comparing it with your (or the at-fault driver's) insurance policy, you will be offered a settlement. This, however, may not be enough to cover all accident-related expenses. You could potentially sue for additional damages such as pain and suffering.
If you still have questions that were not answered above, we encourage you to contact a Denver car accident attorney from our firm directly. Anderson, Hemmat & McQuinn can provide you with answers to all your car accident and auto insurance claims questions. Although the claims process is notorious for being long, arduous and unhelpful, our law firm makes it a point to ensure that this process goes as smoothly as possible for our clients so that maximum compensation can be recovered in a timely manner. To learn how our firm could help you, call to speak with a Denver auto accident lawyer today!
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Copyright © Anderson, Hemmat & McQuinn | By +Chad Hemmat | Your Denver Accident Injury Attorneys | Colorado Personal Injury Blog | About Anderson, Hemmat & McQuinn | Site Map